Sunday, February 11, 2007

Drifted Away from Church

Twenty Years in Twenty Seconds

Volume 42 Issue 11April 1986
By the time I was twenty-five, I had given birth to six children in seven years, had a broken marriage behind me, and was a full-blown alcoholic. Since I had grown up in a very religious atmosphere (Catholic school, Mass every day, three times on weekends, etc.) it wasn't too difficult to drift away from the rigid confines of religion early in my adulthood.
Wallowing in self-pity, all alone raising these children, I constantly told myself and anyone who'd listen just how I needed to drink, how much I deserved it.
I drifted in and out of the AA program for several years and the progression worsened as the time went by. After many car accidents, the loss of several jobs, and most of my sanity, I finally found my way back to this wonderful program.
My sponsor convinced me to try the spiritual route and took me to Mass. It was Palm Sunday and I was told I should try Confession. The thought terrified me, but I did as was suggested. The kind words of the dear man (an alcoholic priest) who heard my confession lifted my spirits so that I could actually feel a weight removed from my heart and soul. With the final absolution, a passage of a mere twenty seconds, I knew the insanity of twenty years was gone. It was as if the hand of God was on my shoulder, touching me, guiding me toward sobriety and a much better way of life.
I haven't touched a drink since that fantastic day. There are times when the way is hard and life seems impossible, but now I know the means of coping. I have but to turn to God. Sensing his presence, I have no need for alcohol or that horrendous way of life that I endured for so long.
M. M.
Arizona

No comments: